Thursday, January 26, 2012

Check Please! - RANT

OK so I'm going to express some frustration and rant for a minute.  Please bear with me....

Chase Bank.  We've been a customer of Chase Bank for 20 years through all of its various forms.... Bank One, etc.  Usually I don't have any issues with them but sometimes they just frustrate the living crap out of me.  The first frustration arrived when we moved.  I called the bank to change the address on our accounts and was informed I could not change the address on the account because I am not the primary account holder.  How 1950's is that?  It's a joint account, I can take every single penny out of the account if I choose but I can't change the address for fear that I may be stealing money from my husband.  ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Yes, I know it has been almost 7 years now since this happened, and no, I wont let it go!

OK, so the next time they frustrated me was a similar situation.  I decided getting monthly bank statements in the mail was a waste.  So I asked them to turn off the paper statements and just send them electronically. Again, I was told I could not make that change because I am not the primary account holder..... E's name is listed before mine on the original forms from 20 years ago.  ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Again, no I wont let it go...


But, I have to say this latest round with them has been absolutely the most frustrating thing EVER!!!  As probably many of you know we all write very few paper checks these days.  I used to keep a close eye on check stock in the house but now since I write just a couple a month I don't keep that close an eye on it.  A couple of weeks ago we were taking the family for our regular hair cuts.  This is one of the places I write checks.  I pulled out my checkbook and made sure I had a check which I did but it was the last one.  I checked the drawer and found that it was the last one period.  So here's where the fun begins.

I go online to the chase account and tell them to send me a box of checks.  The same box of checks I ordered last time, and the time before, and the time before, and the time before, and etc... for the last 20 years...  You get the picture.

Last time they did a little weird thing with E's name making the d's different sizes but no big deal.  (no one spells his name right, and I mean no one.  Honestly, its kind of a thing for him, but hey what do I know, its not like everyone spells my name wrong,  oh wait, THEY DO!

I double checked the printing instructions to make sure all was well and zapped the order off to whomever handles such things.  As I was down to the last check I made sure and requested expedited processing.  A couple of days later I received a package of checks in the mail.  No problem, right?  WRONG!!!!

Apparently the check printing company (Deluxe) has decided that Edd's name is misspelled and really it should be Ed.D.  Nope, wrong, and not acceptable.  So I called the bank and told them the check printing people had made a mistake and please send me another order.  I was on the phone with the customer service agent for about an hour, no joke, while he put a stop payment on the box of checks I held in my hands and authorized the new order.  I implored him to expedite it as I am out of checks.

A couple of days later I received another package of checks.  Low and behold they still insist Edd's name is Ed.D.  So..... I call again and this time I'm not as nice.  The customer service agent assures me that she's called over to Deluxe (while I waited on hold) and made them correct their records as they have it in their records as Ed.D. and if she put in the order that was what I would get again.  So, to make sure they got it right this time she called the printer directly and fixed it.  OK, finally getting somewhere here....  and reminded her that I am out of checks and need them ASAP as I have paid for the expedited service and it's now been two weeks and I have no checks.

A week goes by, no checks.  So, Monday I call the bank.  I've decided that all of that was a farce and she never even put in the order for the checks.  I ask about the status and was told they were mailed on the 17th.... from where, I ask, Mongolia?  It shouldn't take that long to get a package of checks.  He checks on the order and informs me that not only were they mailed on the 17th but they still have the wrong name printed.  I tell the agent I'm tired of all of this and I want to talk with a Supervisor as this is ridiculous.  Low and behold, he is a supervisor (or so he claims).  I rant and raved and yelled and screamed about how ridiculous it is that I cannot depend on MY BANK to send me a simple box of checks with a simple name spelled correctly.  And, just where in the bloody hell does Deluxe get off deciding how to spell a customer's name....  etc.  Short story  ( i know, too late)  I was upset and shared my feelings with this so called supervisor, you get the picture.

So this Supervisor assures me he's fixing the problem, is going to credit our account for the cost of the original box of checks, and is going to send me another box of checks overnight so I'll have them as quickly as possible.  I assured him I could really care less about the $13 for the checks but I really am concerned over the fact that they can't seem to get it right.  He assures me it's right now, he's fixed it, he's a supervisor ( so he knows what he is doing, supposedly) and all will be well when I get the next order.

So Tuesday I receive the package of checks that was mailed on the 17th....  I knew what I was told and that it probably wasn't right but I had to see for myself.  Sure enough, it had the wrong name on it.... but surprisingly, had a second set of name and address that was right.  That's right, these were printed with two sets of names.  ARRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

But, it did give me hope that perhaps the "supervisor" could just delete the bad name and replace with the good name.

So Wednesday I received the promised overnight package from Chase.  Anxiously open it up to find.....

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

YEP, they screwed them up too!!!!

we're back to the Ed.D.

You have got to be freaking kidding me... I GIVE UP!!!!!!!

At least they have credited me for the four boxes of checks I have sitting on the desk and I havent had to pay for this whole debacle, BUT THAT IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT!!

I cannot believe people can screw this up that bad.

As my father says,  These people could F up a wet dream

I'm torn between calling Chase to tell them they're idiots, taking the four boxes of checks to my nearest branch and telling the branch manager they're all idiots or just giving up.

What I did do....  I ordered a box of checks from Checks in the Mail.  Hopefully they can push the "I believe" button and decide I do know how to spell my husband's name.  Stay tuned.

Apologies for the rant but I'm REALLY frustrated about all of this.  Oh, and would anyone like some checks?  Thanks for listening.  Amen.

Deb

No comments: